Beau Chorney

I had a friend Beau Chorney who I met through Ratch Wallace. We were social friends for a few years and he came to my club a few times. He had 3 gold seats at Maple leaf Gardens which he let me have 4 or 5 times a year.
Just after I closed my first after-hours club Beau Chorney phoned and asked if I was interested in managing  a bar for him. He invited me to meet him and his lawyer for lunch. We were to meet at a Greek restaurant just off the esplanade on Market St in Toronto. The big feature of the place was that they had a belly dancer. And Beau raved about the octopus. Beau had reserved  a special table almost in the middle of the dance floor. It was a hot summer day and no air conditioning just fans, I ordered a moussaka and salad. Our meal was no sooner on the table when the music started and  the belly dancer appeared. It was not a great place for a business lunch with the music blaring and the Belly Dancer swirling around our table. Through the din Beau was insisting that I try his octopus and put a piece on my bread plate. He had some idea that I was reluctant to eat octopus which isn't true I love anything out of th sea and had many octopi. As i was about to pick it up with my fork. I kid you not the Belly Dancer's arm swung across the table and a big ball of sweat rolled down her arm and plopped right onto the octopus. They hadn't seen this of course and Beau  kept pointing to the octopus and I waved him off trying to explain. When the dance finally ended I explained but I dont think he believed me and always thought I was afraid to eat octopus.
 Any how the meeting was about that he had just bought the Colonial and wanted me to manage it. He also bought the four seasons hotel and part of the deal was a small suite there as well. it all seemed very legit.
Anyway shortly after Beau called said the deal was through and I was to go down to the Colonial and meet a man and tell him I was the new manager and he would be down later. so I go down and go in the office where there is a group of very serious looking men that are going through the files. I asked for my contact and told them I was the new manager per mr Chorney. I was told briskly Well that didn't happen and I had better check with him. I never saw Beau again. His phone was disconnected. His lawyer promised to get back to me didn't happen. I have no idea what happened if it was a hoax I don't know why. I asked Ratch and he never saw him again either.

Previously His lawyer called me to join him for dinner at Fridays. I am embarrassed i cant remember his name. It was quite a surprise as the dinner was with his some of his clients. Yvan Cournoyer, Guy LaPointe, Henri Richard and Frank and Peter Mahovlich. Peter was late he had just bought a Rolls Royce and he pulled up and we all went out to the street to see it. When he got out an empty Heineken bottle fell out which made us all laugh. I was out of my league in the conversation  with this lot so I didn't say much just a few bon mots during dinner and mostly listened. I wish I remembered more but I guess i was a bit awed as it was it was a surprise.

No comments: