Roy Payne


I first met Roy at the Horseshoe in the summer of 75
The horseshoe was across the street I was a regular and a good friend of Morty Starr the manager. Morty pointed to Roy setting up on stage. Morty told me that Roy owed him 3000 dollars so he had hired him for the whole month of August so he could get his money back. He told the waiter and the bartender not to let Roy have anything to drink until the last half of the show that night.
Morty went off to the office. I was sitting in a booth opposite the bar with Morgan Vice who was leader of the usual house band. suddenly I felt something grab my ankle. it was Roy he had crawled under all the empty booths going back to the stage so that Morty or the Bartender couldn't see him.
Get me a beer bye he croaked. I ordered him a beer and we became fast friends.
He was at my bar pretty well every night for the month.
At the end of the month Morty told me Roy owed him 6,000 dollars.
One night Roy found a water pistol somewhere and squirted me with it. I had the superior weapon an old fashioned pressurized seltzer bottle. I chased him all around the club finally cornering him behind the bar, in desperation he turned to face me unrolling a sheets of paper towel to hide behind.. Of course the seltzer bottle blew the soggy towels right into his face and stuck there like a soaked mime, which had all in the bar howling with laughter.
Roy knew every country singer. I met Billy Joe Shaver through Roy. Hanging out with Roy was an experience He would write songs on the go all night long . He wrote a pretty good song about a Drink menu one night.
Most radio listeners today (outside of Newfoundland, at least) probably haven’t heard of Roy Payne or his music. It’s their loss…the man was indeed a ‘character’… ahead of his time.
Larry Delaney

Roy Payne photo by Barb Blanchard / CMN



Roy Absalom Payne was born in Trout River, NL. He was raised by grandparents, served 12 years in the Canadian army, and was a truck driver amongst other odd jobs before making music his full-time vocation. All the while, Roy would write songs about his life experiences. I Wouldn't Take A Million Dollars For A Single Maple Leaf was written as he stepped off the plane from his last army trip to Egypt. Marriage breakdown, booze, and drug excesses were all great inspirations for Roy Payne's thirst in songwriting. While his recording career speaks for itself it's the lifestyle that surrounded it that probably says more. Roy Payne was a staple at the famed Horseshoe Club in Toronto, but the hard living and the rat race took its toll. He survived the loss of a lung which was a wake-up call. "I was getting on in life. The smog in Toronto was tough to deal with. I was using three puffers at a time to breathe. I needed some clean air." Roy moved up north and hasn't looked back since. "It's the best place for me this side of the Rock. I love it here. I can breathe. Down to one puffer every two weeks or so. I fish. I pedal a bike 15k every day. I write songs. What more could a man my age ask for?"
WEB Page

15 comments:

EXSENO said...

As alway you write a great story. I'll have to come back and get caught up. This blog was a good idea. I hope you enjoy having it.

EXSENO said...

OMG, I had no idea. I'm sure that I've heard/read that name somewhere Max Rosenbloom , I never knew they were one and the same. What a kicker. lol

Unknown said...

Hi Roy
It's Sonny- Do you remember me - Horseshoe tavern & best Buddy- Gerry Hall.
How are you doing????
I have been trying to find you for a lot of years, we are now living Kelowna BC.
Can you call 1-250-979-0103- or email swthompson@telus.net, it would be great to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Great read on Roy Payne! Roy wrote songs for my father/musician Phil Lloyd. They were very good friends. My father had a huge following and he always introduced Roys songs as "Roy Payne" songs on stage. Some include, Train Don't Stop, Lady From Boston, Six Foot Under. There are many folks who outside of Newfoundland have heard of Roy Payne because of Phil Lloyd! From the East Coast to the West Coast to the Yukon, and all across Ontario, especially the North! Roy is an amazing song writer! In fact everytime people heard Phil sing a song and say they liked it, was always a Roy Payne song. There is no other song writer like him!!!!!

Anonymous said...

PS Phil Lloyd was my father. My name is Tracey Loiselle traceydee@hotmail.com
I would LOVE to talk to Roy via email some day!

Bruce Bergman said...

I never saw Roy in person but I played with Phil Loyd and Kevin Barr in the Yukon and they turned me onto him "River Rat John" is a classic Yukon Roy Payne song

Gary LeDrew said...

Thanks Bruce

Anonymous said...

I knew Roy Payne back in 1975. I worked for Harry Hibb's brother Marty at the Newfoundland Signal in Mimico. Roy gave me a cat, I named it Roy :)

Unknown said...

During the 70's i watched Roy perform at the Horseshoe and many other clubs in Toronto.Without question my favorite song at that time was "I wouldn't take a million dollars for a single maple leaf" Over the years I enjoyed all of Roy's work especially his songs honouring Canadian veterans and veterans everywhere. I am thankful to him for his dozen years in the Canadian Military, the sacrifices he made and his love for this beautiful country that we're living in. "I wouldn't take a million dollars for a single Roy Payne"
Henry McGuirk
former writer
Country Music News

Anonymous said...

My dad Ken winter was good friends with Roy. He hung out at his place and he drank beer with Roy. He would help with setups at gigs.

Anonymous said...

I worked with Roy and his son Zack on a chicken farm in Pasadena Newfoundland 80's . Ive ran into him over the years Stofille flee market.Took my extended family to watch him play in ajax ont. Hammon farm he live in a small house their. Released an album. I bought it for everyone

Anonymous said...

The album had the song" Walking the streets off my hometown"

P Doyle said...

My husband and I sing Old Hank and get many requests for it. He's also written a song about Roy entitled "Roy Payne's Talking to Me". We would love to be able to let him know he's still very much appreciated here in Newfoundland and especially among our music friends. Whenever there's a group of us jamming, one or two of his songs are sung. We visit Trout River every summer.

Anonymous said...

Omg it's great to hear about my dad's old friend. My dad use to hang around Roy and he did gig set ups too. If you ever talk to Roy ask him about ken winter. Ken is on Facebook if Roy wants to chat with him add him as a friend

Anonymous said...

Just heard Roy passed a couple years ago was shocked visited him
At his apartment in Mattawa and he didn't know me from Adam.
I knocked on his door when he opened it I had told him I was a big fan of his and he invited me in made me a coffee and we talked for a couple hours. Then I remembered I left the wife down the street but I was so excited to meet him totally forgot about the wife. Was she pissed. Lol anyways when I left he gave me 5 cds.
Never will forget him. R.I.P ROY
Heaven wins again.