Bob Markle


Markle was a facinating guy. It was fun to be friends with Bob. there was always good conversation. He was always interesting.He wasn't exactly a snob but he did not suffer fools.He of course received notoriety for his erotic paintings.and he played in the Artists jazz Band. he once wrote an article on his favourite dish the Hot Hamburger Sandwich with French Fries and peas.
This led to a discussion with me about seafood.
He had never eaten seafood? Never eaten a Lobster?
About 5 years later I get a phone call at a bar
Gary, Gary. I just ate a lobster and you were right it's wonderful.

How I met Markle 1965
Markle looked like  kind of a slob (he only wore blue jeans and navy sweatshirt and often rubber boots. But he  was brilliant, wonderful, witty  and  sort of a snob.
Markle sort of held court at the Pilot. At 5 he would appear and sit in these funny little corners at the Pilot Tavern either side. The pilot had benches along each wall with tables for four and 2 chairs outside. But at the entrance there was a sort of cul de sac on each side of the stairs that they made into a seat like a mini throne. Markle always sat there and woe be on them that took his seat. The inner circle sat up that side on that day. The Pilot was always very dark at any time of day. Strangers were made uncomfortable and soon moved on. I came in as a stranger and was made unwelcome. But I wanted to be an Artist and persevered and sat off on the fringe trying my best to get any drift of the conversations. I vaguely remember words like ‘ramifications’  that sent me running for a dictionary.  But I lingered on the fringe. One thing I knew for certain if I was going to get into this Artist World I would have to be accepted by Markle.

Then one night I drifted into the Pilot at ten o clock. The 5 o clock crowd long gone a new crowd I knew not. I sat and ordered a beer waiting for my eyes to get used to gloom.
Strangers on the thrones, Strangers everywhere. I finally looked north and there was Markle sitting on the bench two tables up. Across from him was somebody vaguely familiar. Jesus! he was sitting with Bob Dylan WOW!  I dared not approach and merely nodded as our eyes met.

The next day Bob came in telling everybody about bringing Bob Dylan here the night before. He was having a hard job convincing anybody and he saw me and waved me over. You were here tell them. I confirmed and story and Bob and were friends everafter and that is how I got into the Artist scene at the old Pilot Tavern.


3 comments:

EXSENO said...

Lobster, shrimp, crab, all my favorite foods. You can't get a decently cooked one anywhere where I live.

LeDrew said...

I have a fisher friend bringing me a feed of crab (nice big ones)

EXSENO said...

Go ahead rub salt in my wounds. lol

I swear the people here have no idea. They think good sea food is muddy tasting catfish or crawfish. There is a Red Lobster not to awfully far, but the cooks are from the area so they still don't know how to cook good seafood. Over cooked and tastless.